≡ Menu

December 2021

Board Meeting:  December 13, 2021 ~4:00 P.M.

PERSONS PRESENT: Gary Winchester, Eric Wilmarth, Lisa Woodruff, Harry Johnston, Nancy Martin, Barry Mansell, Becky Dabbs, Tom Heard, David Kubala, Dwayne Fowler, Tom Roach, Wesley Banks, Jennifer Arp, Corey Ghorley, Beth Jones, Clint Blackwell, Garry Hensley, Keith Allen, Melanie Stephens, Melissa Darvish, Mike Venters, Eric Wright, Joey Buice, Gaye Blackwell, Jeff Hooper, Sharon Clark, Ryan Sarks, and Clay Pilgrim.

Gary Winchester, Chair, called the meeting to order.

1.  AN INVOCATION WAS GIVEN BY ERIC WILMARTH, FOLLOWED BY THE PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE TO THE FLAG OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA.

2.  CLAY PILGRIM OF RUSHTON, LLC PRESENTED THE ANNUAL COMPREHENSIVE FINANCIAL REPORT (ACFR) FOR FISCAL YEAR 2021. Mr. Pilgrim reported that the audit was a clean audit according to governmental accounting standards. Mr. Pilgrim also noted that the Authority had successfully met its bond coverage requirements for the fiscal year ending 8/31/21.

MOTION BY NANCY MARTIN AND SECOND BY ERIC WILMARTH TO APPROVE AND ACCEPT THE FY 2021 ANNUAL COMPREHENSIVE FINANCIAL REPORT (ACFR) AS PRESENTED. All members voted for the motion.

3.  DAVID KUBALA AND JENNIFER ARP PRESENTED AN UPDATE TO THE BOARD ON THE METROPOLITAN NORTH GEORGIA WATER PLANNING DISTRICT 2022 PLAN UPDATE. Mrs. Arp presented the proposed water supply and water conservation action items for the toilet rebate program and the smart leak detection devices. These two action items are currently tied to a grant that the MNGWPD is seeking. However, if the grant does not get approved, the District is requesting full funding for both items. Additionally, if the grant is approved, the District may add a .02 cent increase to the annual dues to cover the administration of the programs. Authority staff objects to having open-ended budget items being requested by the District, and also objects to smart leak detection devices being placed on the meter in the meter box, which is Authority property.

David Kubala presented the Metro-Atlanta Plumbing Code Efficiency Requirement, the Metro-Atlanta Landscape Irrigation System Efficiency Requirements, and the Local Drought and Water Waste Ordinance/Policy. Mr. Kubala noted that the Metro-Atlanta Plumbing Code Requirements are not currently approved by DCA and may not receive approval. However, these requirements lower the gallons per flush or per minute rate for many household fixtures. These would need to be part of the Cherokee County Building Department inspection list. The landscape irrigation requirement is an expansion of the current requirement which applies to large landscapes (one acre or more). If this action item passes, it would include all new landscape irrigation systems. Staff noted that these are difficult, if not impossible, to police since homeowners are not required to seek a permit for new irrigation systems.

Mr. Kubala also discussed the Local Drought and Water Waste action item which staff has determined to be overreach by the District. These action items are currently being addressed by the Authority’s Water Waste Policy and by adhering to the Georgia EPD rules and regulations on Drought Response. Staff has also suggested that the current Drought Management Plan can be used as Board policy going forward to better address what the District hopes to achieve with this action item.

4.  MOTION BY BARRY MANSELL AND SECOND BY LISA WOODRUFF TO APPROVE THE 11/29/21 BOARD MEETING MINUTES AS PRESENTED. All members voted for the motion.

5.  THERE WAS NO FINANCE REPORT PRESENTED THIS MONTH DUE TO THE PRESENTMENT OF THE FY 2021 ANNUAL COMPREHENSIVE FINANCIAL REPORT (ACFR) EARLIER IN THE MEETING.

6.  CLINT BLACKWELL PRESENTED THE WATER TREATMENT OPERATIONS REPORT. Mr. Blackwell reported an average daily treatment of 16.990 MGD for the month of November 2021 at the Etowah River Water Treatment Facility. Mr. Blackwell reported that the Hollis Q. Lathem Reservoir is currently at 1189.0 ft. Mr. Blackwell noted that the reservoir level was down due to reservoir maintenance, but the level has now risen back to normal. Mr. Blackwell reported a cumulative rainfall total of 57.64” for the past twelve months.

7.  MARK COCHRAN PRESENTED INFORMATION REGARDING THE HOLLIS Q. LATHEM RESERVOIR MAINTENANCE/LAKE LEVEL DRAW-DOWN. Mr. Cochran noted that he would present a full report to the Board at next month’s meeting.

8.  MIKE VENTERS PRESENTED THE WASTEWATER TREATMENT OPERATIONS REPORT. Mr. Venters reported an average daily treatment of 2.5 MGD at the Rose Creek Wastewater Treatment Facility, as well as a total reuse monthly flow of 1.6 MG. Mr. Venters reported an average daily treatment of 5.2 MGD at the Fitzgerald Creek Wastewater Treatment Facility, and an average daily treatment of 0.260 MGD at the Riverbend Wastewater Treatment Facility.

9.  JENNIFER ARP PRESENTED THE ENVIRONMENTAL REPORT. Mrs. Arp reported that no spills or overflows occurred during this reporting period.

10.  DWAYNE FOWLER PRESENTED THE CONSTRUCTION REPORT.

11.  IT WAS THE CONSENSUS OF THE BOARD FOR THE AUTHORITY NOT TO ENTER INTO A CONTRACT ITEM AGREEMENT (CIA) FOR THE HWY. 20 WATER LINE RELOCATION FOR STATE DOT PROJECT #0002862.

12.  TOM HEARD PRESENTED THE GENERAL MANAGER’S REPORT.

13.  IT WAS THE CONSENSUS OF THE BOARD TO APPROVE THE 2022 BOARD MEETING CALENDAR AS PRESENTED.

14.  MOTION BY ERIC WILMARTH AND SECOND BY LISA WOODRUFF TO ADJOURN. All members voted for the motion.

Web Developer: StudioSR, LLC
Looking to start a new career? We would love to have youJoin Our Team!
+ +