Board Meeting: June 27, 2022 ~4:00 P.M
PERSONS PRESENT: Gary Winchester, Eric Wilmarth, Lisa Woodruff, Harry Johnston, Barry Mansell, Becky Dabbs, Tom Heard, David Kubala, Dwayne Fowler, Darrell Caudill, Ron Price, Beth Jones, Corey Ghorley, Jennifer Arp, Mike Venters, Leo Baker, Mark Cochran, Eric Wright, Gaye Blackwell, Garry Hensley, Greg Long, Melanie Stephens, Joey Buice, Keith Allen, Ryan Sarks, and Sharon Clark.
Member Nancy Martin was not present at the meeting.
Gary Winchester, Chair, called the meeting to order.
1. AN INVOCATION WAS GIVEN BY HARRY JOHNSTON, FOLLOWED BY THE PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE TO THE FLAG OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA.
2. COREY GHORLEY REQUESTED APPROVAL OF A CONSTRUCTION BUDGET IN THE AMOUNT OF $3,227,853.00 FOR THE PLATE SETTLER REPLACEMENT PROJECT (PHASE 2) AT THE WATER TREATMENT PLANT. Mr. Ghorley noted this project is listed as Item #4 under “Asset Replacement” on the Authority’s current CIP, with a total original estimated cost of $2,000,000.00.
MOTION BY LISA WOODRUFF AND SECOND BY ERIC WILMARTH TO APPROVE THE CONSTRUCTION BUDGET IN THE AMOUNT OF $3,227,853.00 FOR THE PLATE SETTLER REPLACEMENT PROJECT (PHASE 2) AT THE WATER TREATMENT PLANT. All members present voted for the motion.
3. DWAYNE FOWLER NOTED THAT THE AUTHORITY IS IN RECEIPT OF A PETITION FOR EXTENSION OF WATER MAIN FROM RESIDENTS OF THOMAS ROAD. Mr. Fowler noted the petition has been signed by six people, and noted that this petition would require the installation of approximately 3,215 feet of 3” PVC pipe. Mr. Fowler noted an estimated task cost of the line of $19,290.00, and a total purchase meter cost of $10,500.00. Mr. Fowler noted there are eleven total properties in the extension area, and eleven total properties with road frontage. Mr. Fowler noted that several of these petitioners are currently experiencing issues with their wells.
MOTION BY ERIC WILMARTH AND SECOND BY BARRY MANSELL TO APPROVE THE INSTALLATION OF 3” MAIN IN THE THOMAS ROAD AREA AT AN APPROXIMATE COST TO THE AUTHORITY OF $19,290.00. All members present voted for the motion.
4. DARRELL CAUDILL LED DISCUSSION REGARDING THE BOARD’S CONSIDERATION OF THE POTENTIAL PURCHASE OF PROPERTY IDENTIFIED AS 2022-PARCEL TWO. Mr. Caudill noted that he has received signed offers to sell the two tracts in question. These offers have similar terms from the previous contracts that the Authority attempted to enter into back in March 2022. However, the Authority was unable to enter into the previous contracts due to the mineral rights issue with one of the tracts.
Mr. Caudill noted that the provisions for both of the current contracts are to purchase each tract at a price of $1.2 million each, $100,000.00 earnest money for each tract, a 45-day condition satisfaction period, and a 7-day turnaround period for the seller.
Mr. Caudill noted that he has spoken with the closing attorney that Mr. Caudill feels is the best suited for this closing because of the title-work that this attorney has already performed.
MOTION BY BARRY MANSELL AND SECOND BY BECKY DABBS TO AUTHORIZE TOM HEARD TO EXECUTE EACH OF THESE CONTRACTS AS PRESENTED. Members Mansell, Dabbs, Johnston, and Wilmarth voted for the motion. Member Woodruff abstained from voting. Motion passed.
5. DWAYNE FOWLER PRESENTED A PROPOSED SPECIFICATION UPDATE. Mr. Fowler noted that according to the Authority’s current water specs (W305 – Water Main Sizes), there is language that states “Single family residential developments shall use a minimum of 8” water mains, large size mains dependent on demand.”
Mr. Fowler noted that staff recommends removing the language “minimum of 8” water mains” and adding language that reads “water main size as determined by CCWSA staff and or the Fire Department.”
MOTION BY LISA WOODRUFF AND SECOND BY HARRY JOHNSTON TO APPROVE THE PROPOSED AMENDMENT TO THE AUTHORITY’S WATER SPECIFICATIONS AS OUTLINED BY MR. FOWLER. All members present voted for the motion.
6. MOTION BY BARRY MANSELL AND SECOND BY ERIC WILMARTH TO APPROVE THE 5/23/22 BOARD MEETING MINUTES AS PRESENTED. All members present voted for the motion.
7. BETH JONES PRESENTED THE FINANCE REPORT. Mrs. Jones reported that total operating revenues are approximately $2,851,045.00 above budget projections for the period ending 4/30/22. Mrs. Jones reported that total operating expenses are approximately $1,656,836.00 below budget projections for the same period. Mrs. Jones reported year-to-date net income of $8,816,854.00 for the period ending 4/30/22.
8. LEO BAKER PRESENTED THE WATER TREATMENT OPERATIONS REPORT IN THE ABSENCE OF CLINT BLACKWELL. Mr. Baker reported an average daily treatment of 21.094 MGD for the month of May 2022 at the Etowah River Water Treatment Facility. Mr. Baker noted that the Hollis Q. Lathem Reservoir is currently at full pool at 1189.1 ft. Mr. Baker reported a cumulative rainfall total of 60.23” for the past twelve months.
LEO BAKER NOTED THAT PHASE ONE OF THE PLATE SETTLER REPLACEMENT PROJECT AT THE WATER TREATMENT PLANT IS COMPLETE.
9. MIKE VENTERS PRESENTED THE WASTEWATER TREATMENT OPERATIONS REPORT. Mr. Venters reported an average daily treatment of 3.0 MGD at the Rose Creek Wastewater Treatment Facility, as well as a total reuse monthly flow of 3.4 MG. Mr. Venters reported an average daily treatment of 4.30 MGD at the Fitzgerald Creek Wastewater Treatment Facility, and an average daily treatment of 0.260 MGD at the Riverbend Wastewater Treatment Facility.
10. JENNIFER ARP PRESENTED THE ENVIRONMENTAL REPORT. Mrs. Arp noted that no spills or overflows occurred during this reporting period.
11. DWAYNE FOWLER PRESENTED THE CONSTRUCTION REPORT. Mr. Fowler noted that work is on-going on the Hwy. 20 project from Scott Road to Union Hill Road.
12. TOM HEARD PRESENTED THE GENERAL MANAGER’S REPORT.
13. MOTION BY LISA WOODRUFF AND SECOND BY BECKY DABBS TO ENTER INTO EXECUTIVE SESSION FOR THE PURPOSE OF DISCUSSION REGARDING A REAL ESTATE ITEM IDENTIFIED AS 2022-PARCEL ONE. All members present voted for the motion.
MOTION BY BARRY MANSELL AND SECOND BY ERIC WILMARTH TO EXIT EXECUTIVE SESSION AND RETURN TO REGULAR SESSION. All members present voted for the motion.
14. MOTION BY LISA WOODRUFF AND SECOND BY BECKY DABBS TO APPROVE THE ADVERTISEMENT FOR A SEALED BID PROPOSAL FOR THE SALE OF 2022-PARCEL ONE, WHICH IS THE AUTHORITY’S 618.46 ACRE +/- TRACT IDENTIFIED AS PARCEL NUMBER 14N11-002. THE BID OPENING FOR THIS PROPERTY WILL OCCUR ON 11/17/22. All members present voted for the motion.
15. MOTION BY ERIC WILMARTH AND SECOND BY LISA WOODRUFF TO ADJOURN. All members present voted for the motion.